I am fortunate enough to get paid to travel to all kinds of exotic locations around the world. I get to spend time in destinations adventurous travellers only dream about and places that conservative travellers would never dare to go. It is a rare event when I arrive at a new destination and I am immediately taken by it, a rare event indeed. But almost immediately upon departing the harbour in Coron Town on Busuanga Island by local double outrigger “banca” I realised this was truly an amazing place.
Palawan is the island province in the south west of the Philippines between the South China and Sulu seas, reaching down to be just off the northern coast of the Malaysian Borneo state of Sabah. I had long heard from my Filipino friends and colleagues that Palawan was the great mainly-undiscovered destination in the Philippines. With a bit of further investigation I soon narrowed down the Calamian Islands in the north of Palawan as worthy of a personal visit to check out if what I heard about this place was true.
|Blue Lagoon||Stunningly beautiful lake|
|Maquinit Springs||Natural salt water hot springs|
|WWII Wrecks||Dozens of them! World class SCUBA diving|
|Kayangan Lake||Stunning blue lake for swimming, with a nearby cave|
|Barracuda Lake||A lake full of Barracuda|
|Twin Lakes||Adjoining lakes connected by a swim-through tunnel|
|Lajala Village||See traditional boat building & Tagbanua villagers way of life|
|Atwayan Beach||White sand beach with great reef nearby for snorkelling|
|Banua Beach||Beautiful stretch of white sand beach|
|Seven Islands||Awesome snorkelling and great place to watch the sunset|
The indigenous management of the Coron area seems to me to only add to the natural wonders in the bay and on the islands. Whilst still in an over all developing area, there is enough infrastructure to adequately support the community based eco tourism that is currently evolving in Coron. I don’t know how long this place will stay relatively undiscovered……paradise is waiting for you.
So you want to go to Coron?
- There is an Airport on Busuanga, approx one hour drive from Coron Town
- Cebu Pacific and other airlines operate a regular schedule from Manila
- -or- You can take a local boat from Mindoro to Coron Town
- -or- You can fly to Puerto Princessa in Palawan from Manila or elsewhere, then go overland to El Nido and take local boat from there to Coron Town
- From Coron Town simply go to the waterfront and negotiate rates to vosot the sites of Coron Island and surrounds
- Recommend Calamianes Xpeditions for pre-arrangements and tours
- There are numerous hotels, guest houses and resorts
- DO NOT STAY at Coron Gateway Hotel, it’s over priced, poorly run and all round bad news. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE